The Pastoral Council is a consultative body whose policies and decisions require the authority of the pastor to become effective. Its function is established under the Pastoral Council guidelines of the Diocese of Raleigh.
In responding to the Lord who has called the parish to be a community of faithful disciples, council members are challenged to ongoing renewal through prayer, study, listening, and dialogue. In working with the pastor to develop priorities and directions for the parish, the council is to become the means of achieving full participation by the whole parish community in its mission by giving all a voice in assisting the pastor in his guidance and direction of parish life.
Please refer to the current bulletin for the next Pastoral Council Meeting.
The goal of the Parish Pastoral Council is not imply to serve the members of the parish, but to work with the pastor to develop a common vision and purpose, actively advocate for the poor and the powerless, and extend Christian commitment to the surrounding neighborhoods and communities. Toward that end, a statement of mission for the parish community is orchestrated by this body and becomes the reference point for activity in the parish.
In addition the council’s responsibilities will also include ways:
- To provide a structured way for laity, religious, and priests to coordinate, encourage, promote, and participate in the apostolic and spiritual work of the parish.
- To provide recommendations for parish priorities, directions, and policies through pastoral planning;
- To promote communication, understanding , and collaboration among parish organizations and between the parish, the Diocese and the universal Church
- To provide a continuous and integrated survey of the spiritual and temporal needs of the parish and the community. They should work closely with the pastor to develop and implement programs aimed at meeting these needs.
- To serve as a permanent structure for construction dialogue among priests. , religious, and laity of the parish so that all can work in close cooperation as a truly Christian community, fulfilling the mission of Christ.
- To show by example how the total parish community, working together, can promote the kingdom of Christ and proclaim His Gospel.